Amanda was written by Robin Klein. For students who struggle to understand the meaning and literary aspects of Amanda, this page provides a summary and detailed explanation of the verse. A small child named Amanda is the focus of the poem Amanda. An illustration of a young child’s struggles. Amanda by Robin Klein conveys the critical message that children should never be deprived of their freedom. Children should not feel incarcerated or imprisoned by their parents. This is a wonderful depiction of teenage perceptions of growing up and the differences in opinions between teenager and their guardian. During her teenage years, the poet worked several jobs. Class 10 students are required to prepare Amanda extra questions. There is a lot of information about freedom in this chapter.
Amanda Extra Questions
1. I am an orphan, roaming the street. Is Amanda an orphan? If not, why does she say so?
Answer:No, Amanda is not an orphan. There are many restrictions on her. She does not like this life. She wants freedom. She feels that there is no one to understand her feelings. She is all alone. This is the reason she says that she is an orphan.
2. Do you know the story of Rapunzel? Why does she want to be Rapunzel?
Answer: Rapunzel was a mythological figure, who was absolutely carefree, leading a calm and quiet life in tower, Amanda wishes to lead a carefree, calm and quiet life like Rapunzel.
3. How life on a tower would be different from life anywhere else for Amanda?
Answer: Life on tower for Amanda would be very different from her reality. Just like Rapunzel, even she desires to live on top of a tower, away from everyday chaos. Amanda suffers due to the constant nagging from her parents. She seeks a place full of peace and serenity, where there is no one to disturb her. Hence, she wishes to live on a tower.
4. Do you consider Amanda’s mother to be a nagging mother?
Answer: Amanda’s mother is indeed a nagging mother. She is all about instructions and finding faults. No doubt it is her responsibility to instil good values into her daughter, but not at the cost of her child’s happiness. One should know how to strike a balance between maintaining responsibilities and taking good care.
5. What does the speaker ask Amanda not to do to her nails?
Answer: The speaker asks Amanda not to bite her nails.
6. Who is the mermaid in ‘Amanda’, what does ‘she’ wish to do?
Answer: The mermaid is Amanda herself; as imagined by Amanda. She wishes to drift blissfully on a dreamy, emerald sea, without anyone else accompanying her.
7. What made Amanda sulk and become moody?
Answer: Amanda sulks and becomes moody when her mother gives her too many instructions. She does not want to follow them but she can’t dare to ignore them either, so she sulks.
8. What three things the speaker ask Amanda to do which she has not done?
Answer: The speaker asks Amanda to finish her homework. Then he asks her if she has cleaned up her room. Finally, he finds that her shoes are not clean even though he had asked her to clean them.
9. What kind of an image does “languid, emerald sea” evoke?
Answer: ‘Languid’ means relaxed. The word is used to depict the wave of the sea that sways gently. Amanda dreams to escape into her own solitary dreamland which is soothing, calm and peaceful
10. Why does Amanda seem moody most of the time?
Answer: Amanda’s mother constantly keeps a check on her activities and habits and scolds her all the time for correcting her ways of life. That’s why, Amanda gets fed up and escapes into the world of imagination, so she seems moody most of the time.
11. What can you depict of Amanda’s nature ?
Answer: Amanda is a moody girl. She is nagged most of the time. She often escapes from reality, which makes her moody and uninterested
12. Is the purpose of someone constantly giving instructions to Amanda being fulfilled? Explain.
Answer: No, Amanda sulks and becomes moody when her mother gives her too many instructions. She does not listen to her mother and does not care to follow them, but she can’t dare to ignore them either, so she sulks. Parents in their endeavour to make their children well-behave, give them too many instructions.
13. Who want to become a sole inhabitant of a languid emerald sea ?
Answer : Amanda wants to become a sole inhabitant of a languid emerald sea.
14. Why should Amanda not eat chocolate ?
Answer : Amanda is asked not to have chocolate because of her acne.
15. What could Amanda do if she was a mermaid?
Answer: If Amanda were a mermaid, then she would drift slowly on a languid emerald sea. She would be the sole inhabitant of the relaxed green sea and would move slowly on it.