The education of a youngster is essential to their future. Parents want to be absolutely convinced that they are selecting the greatest school for their children as a result. But with so much information available online and so many different viewpoints from friends and family, making an objective, an informed decision is quite challenging. This is why parents today prefer to seek the advice of professionals when selecting an educational organization for their children.
This article provides all the information you need to know about the ICSE board of education and gives thorough explanations of the ICSE syllabus and the advantages and disadvantages of the ICSE board.
Indian Council of Secondary Education ( ICSE)
The ICSE board stands for Indian Certificate of Secondary Education. The board is well-known both in India and internationally and is a preferred option for students.
A private organization called the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE) administers the ICSE exams in accordance with the New Education Policy.
The CISCE body is a forward-thinking organization that is always adjusting to more modern teaching methods. Because of its extensive syllabus and cutting-edge teaching methods, the ICSE curriculum is well-known.
The ICSE test curriculum from class 1 to class 10 is detailed below.
- 1st to 5th grades: The council concentrates more on honing pupils’ abilities. Every CISCE-affiliated school is free to choose any textbooks for classes 1 through 5. For each subject, the board has requirements that schools must adhere to in order to make the curriculum applicable to the CISCE board students.
- 6th through 10th grade: The council also provides recommendations and a well-structured syllabus for grades 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. Also, the council offers a list of books from which schools can select novels for their students. The council has not established any textbooks. The ICSE curriculum’s academic areas have been arranged in a matrix arrangement. A method based on themes is used for each subject. Learning Objectives have been determined for each theme. They were provided at the start of the ICSE Curriculum, following each description of a theme.
- Board Test for ICSE Class 10: The Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations organizes the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) exam for Class 10 students. In accordance with the New Education Policy of 1986, the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) was created to offer an exam during general education. Students in Class 10 take the ICSE Class 10 Board exam. The test consists of 7 subjects; 4 of them are required, while the remaining three are elective. All ICSE Board exams at the secondary school level are administered by the CISCE in topics like English, History, Science, Commercial Studies, Environmental Science, and others.
Advantages of ICSE Board
Selecting the finest board and school is crucial if you want to provide your child with the greatest education possible. The following are the advantages of the ICSE board:
- Global Recognition: The fact that the board is respected on a national and worldwide level is one of the major benefits of the ICSE curriculum. Foreign nations view the ICSE syllabus as on par with the high school exams held in their country, in addition to being on par with the recognized boards in India. As a result, ICSE is regarded as an internationally renowned board that is respected in India as well as everywhere else.
- Huge potential for the future: The ICSE curriculum includes global knowledge, stimulates critical thinking, and offers fresh teaching approaches. Students can now pursue higher education abroad, thanks to this. Because ICSE board students have a solid foundation in English, they have an advantage while taking the IELTS and TOEFL tests. Several ICSE institutions provide creative disciplines, including agriculture, fashion design, home science, cooking, and many more cutting-edge topics. Hence, by enrolling in an ICSE school, you will undoubtedly have the opportunity to study your chosen pastime.
- Real-world participation and evaluation: The ICSE curriculum’ design calls for students to go beyond textbooks, explore their labs, and gain practical experience in order to gain a useful understanding of the principles they have learned in class. As a result, students learn in a richer environment that goes beyond memory. Moreover, project work, research, group projects, and internal assessment are given a significant weighting, allowing students the chance to demonstrate their aptitude in addition to performing well on exams.
- Solid fundamentals and foundation: Students are encouraged to broaden their interests and acquire a curious, inquisitive, and analytical attitude to learning as a result of a conscious effort to prioritize quality content over quantity. The methodology has evolved over time to stress an all-encompassing, immersive, and dynamic system rather than the commonly imagined one-way information flow. As a result, education has improved in both standard and quality, and students now have a strong foundation for any career route they may select.
- Rich, well-balanced, and beneficial content: The syllabus’s content is comprehensive and in-depth to aid students in comprehending it better. An ICSE education achieves that and more, despite the claim that a CBSE education places a larger emphasis on math and science with a bigger aim to prepare pupils for different entrance tests. While emphasizing math and science principles, ICSE also gives equal weight to languages, the arts, and the humanities. This enables education to be more diverse, well-rounded, and healthy. Language proficiency is the main objective of education that uses English as the primary language. While submitting their applications to universities overseas for higher education, students will benefit from this.
- Children with special needs are given advantages: The council gives candidates with certain types of disabilities extra consideration and makes the necessary accommodations to support them so that their performance during the ICSE and ISC Exams is not impacted.
- Competitive Nature: The ICSE board sponsors numerous interschool tournaments for students and instructors in order to foster a culture of competitiveness among ICSE schools. These honors are highly regarded and are given across all of India. Teachers and students who work hard to win these honors find encouragement in them. It motivates both students and teachers to provide their best effort. This is an important advantage of the ICSE board.
- Qualified faculty members: The ICSE board’s highly competent faculty members for all streams are the last advantage of attending. The instructors have extensive education, professional experience, and subject-matter expertise. They are well-versed in their field and can offer you appropriate advice to help you do well on tests like the SSC CGL Test or SSC CGL Mock Test and other competitive exams like the JEE Main, NEET RANKED TEST, etc.
- Inclusion of Internal assessment: Another reason why the ICSE board is superior is that internal assessments are taken into account when evaluating students’ overall performance, giving them more room to improve. The board evaluates pupils based on internal evaluations and adheres to a comprehensive approach to education.
Disadvantages of the ICSE Board
All subjects are given equal weight in the ICSE board’s syllabus. The ICSE certification is recognized all over the world. Yet, the following are some disadvantages of the ICSE board:
- A difficult syllabus: The syllabus will be difficult for an ordinary student because ICSE students give thirteen subject tests during the sixth standard, whilst other boards give six subject exams in the same class. Although ICSE encourages learning, greater life skills, and analytical abilities, it might be challenging for pupils to continue their education beyond high school.
- Less faculty: Due to a shortage of teachers, ICSE board students cannot get quality private instruction in their area.
- Greater emphasis on English as a Language: Because of its emphasis on English grammar and literature, ICSE may be challenging for some students. The Hindi language is also highlighted. For pupils who struggle to learn new languages or don’t know the language, this is not promising.
- Expensive: ICSE is much more expensive than the government-run boards in India, despite being the least expensive option for global education. Parents are burdened by the high tuition costs that many schools impose. Affordable tuition often means fewer resources for the school, which has an impact on education quality.
- Extra Work: Sometimes, during the exam season, when all the teachers have to complete the course, there are some extra books for the students of ICSE. Due to this, students and teachers both get pressured and do not concentrate on the syllabus. Because of the extensive curriculum and difficult access to textbooks and tuition, students are under a great deal of stress due to the subject content and schoolwork, which is quite challenging for many.
- The pattern is not upto the mark: The emphasis in the ICSE board is mostly on theoretical knowledge. Students are only instructed to study for exams. This causes students to lack practical information in their minds. This disqualifies students from employment in business or industry. So, to succeed in the market, any student must have practical knowledge, and increasing the proportion of practical knowledge is necessary to improve students’ skills.
- Difficult grading system: The grading system is highly rigorous and is known as one of India’s extensive academic education systems.
One of the most well-liked boards in the nation is ICSE. The ICSE curriculum encourages students who are interested in management and other professional courses to enroll. India has several ICSE board schools spread out over the nation, making it one of the most well-liked options for students.
What distinguishes the ICSE from the ISC?
The curriculum for grades 1 through 10 is called ICSE. ISC is the board curriculum for grades 11 and 12, in contrast.
In India, how many ICSE schools are there?
In India, there are approximately 2535 ICSE schools.